Thursday, May 9, 2013

Appreciating Teachers!: My Top 10!



Chocolate, gift certificates, and lunch are great! I really do appreciate all the thanks I have received during the week. 

But I'd like to  share some tips on what would REALLY make me feel appreciated!

This goes out to anyone who interacts with teachers,in no particular order:

1.  Please take responsibility for your child. We each have a hand in raising your child. I need your help.

2.  Stop making excuses for your child's behavior. It causes a vicious cycle that will never end, and makes your child, hmmmm....not so nice to be around.

3.  If I send home information, read it. If I call you, listen to the message. If I email you, respond. If I need a signature, sign it.

4. Stop.talking. Do you know how much more you would learn if you were actually listening to me and/or your peers? It's not always going to be "fun" and sometimes you have to be quiet.

5.  Take responsibility. If you did it, say you did, and let's move on. If you didn't do what you were supposed to, get it done. 

6. Don't patronize me. If it's another "new thing" and I have to do it, just tell me what it is, what I have to do, and how soon I have to do it. Candy on the table won't sweeten it.

7. Treat me as a professional. I went to college!  I can make decisions about what is good for my students. (With their help of course)

8. You will never, ever, ever, in a million years know what is best for my students. Stop dictating what is best for them because you do not know.

9.   No more standardized tests! No more data, data, data!

10. Last, but certainly not least, respect me. This is a difficult, complicated, job. Try to wrap your head around what I do every single day, mostly without complaint, and respect the fact that I do it.

Thank you, thank you very much!
A teacher

1 comment:

  1. Amen! And seriously, candy doesn't erase a multitude of evils.

    ReplyDelete